Marble slabs create an excellent finish for your bathroom. They are not just elegant; they also are water-resistant and very durable. However, maintaining them always to enjoy that outstanding sparkle is not a mean task. It requires deliberate care and attention. Here are things you need to know about caring for your marble shower.
Cleaning your marble shower every day is a vital step in ensuring your marble tiles’ cleanliness and long life. Your shower needs to be wiped after every use since residue from body washes, soap, and hard water easily damages marble surfaces. Therefore, it is advisable to store some clean fiber towels in your bathroom so that anyone using the shower can wipe down the walls after use. The best way to wipe is from top to bottom. Wiping dry prevents the growth of mold and mildew that can permanently stain your marble, making it look dull and ugly. You can also use a bathroom fan to dry up moisture and keep your walls and floor dry.
Showers that are used once or twice a day may only require cleaning weekly. However, despite the number of times the shower is used, always ensure the walls are dried after every use. There are two ways with which you can do your marble shower cleaning. You can use commercial marble cleaners readily available in stores or do it yourself (DIY) using your apparatus. If you are using a commercial marble cleaner, ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid disappointments.
If you choose the DIY method, you will require the following apparatus
• A spray bottle
• Warm water
• Mild dishwashing liquid
• Microfiber cloths
• A bucket (optional)
Steps for a DIY Cleaning
• Make a cleaning solution by thoroughly mixing a little of the mild dishwashing liquid with warm water in the spray bottle.
• Generously spray on the walls and floor of your bathroom, and be sure to work from top to bottom.
• Use a microfiber cloth to wipe using circular motions giving special attention to areas prone to stains, such as drains and fixtures.
• Rinse the soapy solution from the walls starting from top to bottom. You can use a bucket or a handheld showerhead. The result will be a sparkling clean surface.
• Dry all the water from the floor and walls using a microfiber cloth or a squeegee.
• Buff the walls with a microfiber cloth and ensure every surface is shiny.
Remedies for Stubborn Stains
Sometimes you will still find stains on your marble tiles even after giving them a thorough wash. You can try the following tips to get rid of tough stains.
- Use superfine steel wool to gently buff away mineral deposits that might have built up around drains and fixtures. Ensure you scrub lightly to avoid leaving scratches on the marble.
- Use 12 percent fresh and active hydrogen peroxide to remove discoloration caused by bath products. Soak a microfiber paper towel or cloth and place it over the stain for about ten minutes. When the stain comes off, rinse the spot well, dry it, and buff it. If the stain does not go away, repeat the process until the stain comes off.
- Use approved marble cleaning products to remove mold and mildew.
Precautions for Marble Surfaces Cleaning
Although marble is essentially a stone, it is pretty delicate. As such, you need to carefully select the tools and products to use for cleaning your marble shower.
- Before you start cleaning, ensure you read and comply with the manufacturer’s instructions on the care and maintenance of your marble walls and floors.
- Never use acidic cleaners such as vinegar, lemon, or citrus-based soap. These products can damage your marble surfaces.
- Only use PH-neutral cleaners that are recommended for marble surfaces.
Never use scrubbing brushes, scrapers, or coarse brushes. They can easily scratch and leave ugly marks on your marble tiles.
- Do not polish your marble tiles. Cleaning and sealing your marble floor is adequate. Polishing the floor can make it slippery and dangerous for you and your family.
If you need to reseal, ensure you follow the manufacturer’s recommendation on sealing your marble tiles. A suitable sealant will protect your marbles and inhibit the growth of mold and mildew.
Understandably it would help if you had your marble shower always remain clean. Still, you might not be confident about your ability to maintain the cleanliness of your marble tiles without damaging them. We offer excellent cleaning services in area that will give a sparkle to your marble shower. Call us today for a free estimate or book your cleaning appointment online!