We love our TOMS and want to keep them in excellent condition. They are great shoes for any season so, of course, they can get pretty dirty and stained over time. While these shoes may seem like they would have simple cleaning instructions, we want to show you how you can keep your pair looking and feeling new for as long as possible.
There are a few ways you can keep your TOMS clean, whether you simply need to treat a stain or they need a full wash to remove months of dirt and grime. No matter how you clean them, always use gentle products and care. Here are a few suggestions:
- Clean by hand: This is the best spot cleaning or an all-over clean. We recommend using a toothbrush or another scrub brush with soft bristles that won’t scratch or pull any fibers loose from the shoes. It is also a good idea to use cold or room temperature water and just a drop or two of a gentle, bleach-free detergent mixed together in a bowl. You can use a small amount of the solution to treat a stain, or use this mixture to gently scrub your shoes clean. However, do not leave the soap to soak into the shoes, and rinse them as soon as you are finished scrubbing, as this could cause the color of the fabric to fade.
- Machine washing: If you don’t have time to scrub your TOMS by hand, you can toss them into your washing machine inside of a mesh bag. Using a machine is not highly recommended, but will work to get your shoes clean faster. If there are any tough stains, you can pretreat those before starting the wash. Set your machine for a gentle or extra gentle cycle and make sure to use cold water to prevent fading. Make sure the detergent you are using is a mild and bleach-free variety before adding about a quarter of the amount your usual laundry requires. If you have a top-loading washer, allow the machine to fill partially before putting the shoes inside the mesh bag and into the wash.
Air Dry Only
When your TOMS are nice and clean and ready to dry, leave them out to air dry. Don’t put them into your dryer to speed up the drying process. Drying them in a machine could damage them and cause fading, and may even shrink the fabric of the shoes. We recommend allowing your TOMS to air dry, which may take a few hours but allows for the best results. Make sure not to leave the shoes in direct sunlight, however, as the sun will fade the colored fabric more quickly.
While they dry, stuff the shoes with paper so that they will maintain their shape and prevent any potential shrinking. If possible, allow your TOMS to hang dry on a line or set them on a rack while they dry for the best ventilation. Allow your shoes to fully dry to the touch before wearing them again so that the base is not soft and will have a longer life.
Following these recommended cleaning directions will help you keep your TOMS clean and damage-free any time they need a refresh. Here are a few extra suggestions for making sure your favorite pair of TOMS stay in great and wearable condition for as long as possible:
- While the canvas style of TOMS shoes can get wet and not be damaged, it is a good idea to make sure you never leave your pair to soak in soapy water for more than a few minutes. Soaking the shoes could damage the fabric and base of the shoe and could mean having to buy a new pair.
- It is also suggested to never use bleach of any kind to clean your TOMS as this will permanently damage the fabric. Make sure to only use a mild or gentle detergent to clean your shoes.
- Once your shoes are dry, or if you have just gotten a new pair, consider looking into a stain prevention spray for the specific fabric or textile used for your shoes. Using this spray can increase the life of your TOMS and keep them in better shape between washes. Remember to reapply the spray thoroughly after you wash your shoes and leave them to fully dry.
If you have cleaning projects or problem areas around your house that could ruin your freshly cleaned TOMS, you can come to us! Cleanzen Cleaning Services can provide you with any projects you don’t have time for. Contact us today to see if we have the services to help your home stay clean.