From the subtle tones of liquid foundation to the dramatic colors of mascara and the bold hues of eyeshadow, makeup comes in a wide range of colors that enhance your natural beauty. Unfortunately, makeup may find its way to undesired surfaces, such as your carpet. The lovely colors that look wonderful on your face will become seemingly permanent stains that mark your flooring. While makeup stains may seem permanent, you actually can remove them if you apply the right techniques.
General Stain Removal Tips
Regardless of the type of makeup stain that you are dealing with today, there are a few essential steps to follow to get tough stains out without damaging the carpet.
1. The best time to deal with stains is as soon as possible. Makeup will set in more deeply when it is allowed to sit for a longer period of time. Before using any of these stain removal tips that use cleaning agents, try to clean up as much of the mess on your own as possible.
2. For powered makeup and other dry products, you can use a handheld vacuum or vacuum attachment to suction away the loose debris. Avoid running the vacuum fully over the stain because this could press the powder deeper into the fibers. For liquid products, use a spoon to scrape off the top layer of the mess. Avoid pressing down on the stain as much as possible.
3. Check the care instructions for your carpet. These may be posted on the manufacturer’s website in some cases.
4. Some of the treatments for makeup stain removal use products that are safe on some types of carpets, but they can damage other types. With this in mind, always test an inconspicuous area of the carpet before working on the stain.
5. If the stain is too stubborn, keep in mind that professional carpet stain removal services are available.
Liquid Foundation Removal
There are two possible solutions for the removal of liquid foundation. One involves using a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution and clean water. Simply soak a portion of a clean, white cloth in the undiluted hydrogen peroxide. Dab the wet cloth directly on the stain. Repeat this process using a clean section of the cloth with each dab. Once the stain is gone, add clean water to the area. This will dissolve the hydrogen peroxide so that no additional cleaning should be required.
The other cleaning option for liquid foundation removal is to use cornstarch and water. The cornstarch may work wonders on oil-based foundation because of its absorbent properties. After you remove as much of the foundation on your own as possible, use warm water and a clean cloth to dab away the stain. Then, sprinkle the cornstarch on the area liberally. It should sit untouched for up to 24 hours. When you are ready, vacuum the cornstarch. Any remnants of the stain can be treated with a store-bought carpet cleaner.
Powdered Makeup Removal
The most effective way to deal with powdered makeup stains is to use detergent. After vacuuming up the loose powder, mix cold water and a few drops of liquid detergent in a bowl. Use a clean cloth to dab the soapy water onto the stain. Continue blotting with a new section of the cloth until the stain is gone. If this method does not completely remove the stain, you can try WD-40 or hydrogen peroxide to draw the rest of the makeup out of the carpet. Remember to follow these methods up by blotting the area with clean, cool water to remove as much of your cleaning agent as possible.
Lipstick Stain Removal
Lipstick can be tough to remove because of its bright colors and oily texture, but rest assured that it can be removed. Choose from a few cleaning solutions based on what is safe for your carpet and available in your home. The options are white vinegar diluted with water, paint remover or rubbing alcohol. For all of these methods, you will also need a few clean towels and a bowl of water mixed with detergent. Using your preferred cleaning product, soak a portion of the towel in the liquid, and dab it gently on the stain. Repeat as needed. Once the stain is gone, clean the area using a combination of detergent and water. Follow this up with a small amount of clean water. Blot the area dry.
Mascara Stain Removal
Mascara and liquid eyeliner have a comparable composition, so you can use the same cleaning method for both of these types of stains. First, apply a liberal amount of WD-40 to a clean cloth, and blot the stain. Each time you dab the carpet, use a fresh section of the towel. You can follow this up with a dabbing session using clean water and liquid detergent. Then, wrap up the cleaning session with clean water to draw the detergent out of the carpet.
The Easy Way to Clean Your Home
Unfortunately, makeup can also stain your countertops and a variety of other surfaces. You may need to hire a professional carpet cleaner to safely remove makeup stains that are too tough to tackle on your own. Dealing with these stains may only be one of the many cleaning chores that require your attention. Are you looking for an easier way to keep your entire home clean? Schedule maid service with our team today.