Keeping your kitchen clean is a job that can seem overwhelming if not kept up with. Clutter can easily overrun your counters and your dishes can pile up in the sink and begin to smell if not dealt with soon enough. The last thing you want to see in your kitchen while you cook is flies or other bugs around your food. To help you stay motivated and accountable when cleaning your kitchen here is a handy checklist you can follow and incorporate into your regular cleaning schedule.
Why is A Clean Kitchen So Important?
Keeping your kitchen clean and tidy can be a constant battle and it can be discouraging to see it in a poor state before cleaning. So why should you keep up with cleaning it regularly if it’s such an uncomfortable task? Consider all the grease and grime built up around your sink, oven, and microwave, and think about how much bacteria and germs can build up on these surfaces. Cooking surfaces need to be kept clean and disinfected on a regular basis in order to avoid spreading those germs and bacteria to your and your loved ones’ food. On top of this, remember that your kitchen is the center of your home. A clean and tidy kitchen can easily motivate you to keep the rest of your home looking just as well-kept and inviting.
Start With The Daily Basics
There are a handful of cleaning tasks you can complete daily in order to stay on top of any basic messes and clutter. Daily cleaning can keep you and your family motivated to keep the rest of the home clean as well. Here are the daily cleaning tasks:
- Wipe down your counters and stovetop
- Sweep the floors free of crumbs and debris
- Do the dishes and put them away
- Clean the sink of any food debris
- Put everything where it is meant to be
- Disinfect high-touch surfaces
The Weekly Nitty Gritty
Once a week, you can tackle a set of more thorough tasks so that you have a fresh start before each week. These won’t need to be done more than once or twice each week but they can make a huge difference. Here are your weekly cleaning tasks :
- Mop the floors
- Take out the trash
- Wipe down the exteriors of your appliances
- Clean your sink’s disposal
- Check for any leftovers that have gone bad
- Wipe your cabinets
- Wash the dish towels
Deep Clean Monthly
Each month, make sure you complete the more tedious tasks so that there is no buildup or clutter left around the kitchen. While these tasks may take longer, you’ll only need to complete them every few weeks to keep your kitchen looking good. Here are the monthly tasks you should accomplish:
- Check your pantry for expired foods
- Clean appliance interiors
- Sanitize the sponges
- Dust above the cabinets and refrigerator
- Declutter your refrigerator and freezer
- Clean and sanitize the trash bin
- Clean the dishwasher
- Clean your coffee maker
- Wash any rugs
- Clean the interior of your refrigerator
- Declutter your pots, pans, dishes, cups, and Tupperware
Between The Cleaning
Our kitchens are the heart of our homes and one of the most used spaces during our daily lives. It is important to keep yours tidy and welcoming each time you use it. As you check your tasks off each day, you’ll start to notice how much a little cleaning can go a long way. In order to best stay ahead of your more tedious and time-consuming tasks, here are a few tips and tricks for managing messes:
- Have a visual checklist to keep track of completed tasks and stay motivated to keep your space free of germs and food crumbs.
- Make sure to thoroughly clean up any spills so that there’s no sticky residue left behind for you to deal with later.
- When you declutter your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer make sure that you remove everything so that you can fully assess what needs to be thrown out, what you have, and what you need.
- Keep your multipurpose cleaner in an easily accessible place so that you can get to it quickly.
- Sweep after each meal so that you always start fresh.
- If you live with your family, delegate some of the more time-consuming tasks so that everyone can help keep the kitchen tidy.
What does your kitchen look like after keeping up with this checklist? Do you have any tasks you added to your checklist? Tell us about them in the comments! If you’ve been struggling to keep your kitchen tidy, but can’t seem to find the time you need to clean up during your week, that’s okay. We’re here to help. Our house cleaners Houston have a variety of services that can help you whip your kitchen into shape and keep it that way. Contact us today to find out how we can help you get your home looking and feeling its best!