Glass shower doors can be sleek and stylish and have the potential to elevate the appearance of any bathroom. The downside is that any hard water or soap scum buildup becomes very obvious, very quickly. Don’t let that fool you though, glass shower doors are surprisingly easy to keep clean and streak-free. Here are a few of our best tips for keeping your shower shiny and clean.
The first, and most obvious, suggestion is to make sure to stay on top of any hard water or soap scum build-up. You can make it a habit by using a squeegee to wipe the water down from the glass and by leaving the door open to fully dry every time you shower. For longer-lasting results, once a week you can use a soft wet sponge or rag to wipe down the shower and the door. About once a month, when the build-up has finally caught up to your cleaning, you can do a full scrub down and deep clean your shower and shower doors. You can do this by using any number of cleaners or DIY solutions, here is one we like:
- Make sure the walls and doors of your shower are wet with water. You can use the detachable showerhead if you have one, or a cup or bucket.
- In a spray bottle, mix together a 2-to-1 ratio of white vinegar and water with a drop or two of dish soap. For tougher stains or scum, you can use less water and more vinegar in the solution.
- Spray the solution all over your shower, paying extra attention to the areas of significant build-up, and allow it to sit on the surface for about 10 minutes. You can leave it for longer if the build-up is more stubborn.
- Grab some baking soda and use a sponge or rag to scrub the build-up and stains from the surface of the glass. The baking soda will react with the vinegar to get a deeper clean and dislodge any remaining grime.
- Once the shower is cleaned to your liking, you can fully rinse the vinegar solution and baking soda from the walls and door and watch the stains and scum float down the drain to reveal a sparkling shower. If there are any remaining stains or build-up, you can repeat the necessary steps until your shower is spotless.
For A Longer-Lasting Clean
Keeping glass shower clean, while not impossible, can feel like a constant battle. Outside of regular cleaning using any variety of methods or cleaners, there are a few extra tips and tricks you can use to keep your glass shower shiny and free of grime. Here are our best suggestions for extra upkeep and cleaning:
- We previously mentioned using a squeegee after every shower, and we stand by that. If you don’t already have one, we suggest buying a squeegee to leave in your shower as this is the quickest and easiest way to stay on top of hard water build-up on the glass.
- If vinegar tends to overwhelm your nose and your bathroom has little ventilation, we can understand wanting to find a less disagreeable scent. You can replace the vinegar in the mixture with lemon juice, it has a more pleasant scent and will react similarly to the baking soda when cleaning.
- Depending on your preference, there are two different finishing touches you can use for your shower. The first, for a shiny and streak-free shine, is regular glass cleaner. Just make sure to use a dry, microfiber cloth to wipe the glass cleaner on the shower for the best results.
- The second option for a finishing touch for your glass shower doors is shaving cream. Yes, we said shaving cream. By buffing a small amount of shaving cream onto your glass shower doors with a soft cloth, you will be left with an anti-fogging finish. This can be a nice touch if you prefer the glass to be clear after a shower.
- If you prefer to use a store-bought chemical cleaner for your shower, that’s okay, sometimes tougher grime calls for tougher cleaning. Just be sure that your bathroom is well ventilated and that you use a safe amount and close the bathroom to keep children and pets away from harsh fumes.
With regular cleaning and upkeep, your glass shower doors should be looking clean and shiny in no time. Did any of these tips work for you? Let us know. If you want some help staying on top of the grime in your bathroom or anywhere else in your home, call us! If you want to know if we offer any services you need in your home, you can find more info here. We’re happy to provide you with friendly service and reasonable prices, let us know how we can help your home today!